Tuesday 19 September 2017

Tackling A Blog and An Education! *a ramble

I wanted to do a little bit of a different post today, even though you could consider me as a beauty blogger, I still want to offer a variety of content to keep myself interested. Currently in the blogging community, there are a lot of teenagers bloggers that tackle both a blog and their education, me being one of those. Since I have been tackling a blog and school for almost three years now, I think I have a few tips that you might find useful so that is what I wanted to speak about today.
The amount of times I have chosen to write a blog post over finishing a piece of homework is astounding but really, prioritising is key to finding a balance. Argue about it all you want with whoever, but whether you like it or not, your education does come above your hobbies and so making your school work the main target is key. This isn't me saying that you must get all of your weekly homework done before you can even think about writing a blog post, it is me trying to say that finding a balance between the two is key, which I guess is what I am trying to say throughout this whole post. What I tend to do is, I'll make sure that I have time to do both, I will set myself as long as I need, realistically, to finish everything and I will just fit it all in. The order never really matters too much to me because I am the sort of person to get all of my work done anyway but if you are not, then maybe try and do majority of your work first. Something that has worked well for me, is that I will do all of my school work during the week and then the weekend is left for me to just focus on  my blog, I know a lot of people do this and honestly, I find it to be quite effective. Obviously, depending on your workload might depend on how much spare time you will have but even if it is just a Sunday morning that you dedicate to your blog, it is totally worth it. It could be because I have had a blog for three years, but I find myself having withdrawal symptoms a lot with my blog. Truly, I don't think I could go a week without writing or creating some form of content and so having just those few hours to myself of a weekend to create whatever content I want is a must. Overall though, the main thing I have to say is treat your education and homework as the priority but your blog is almost like you break in between your work. I know it can take some time, but finding that balance is key for staying on top of both.

More like a general blogging tip now but scheduling and pre-writing content is so useful. I do this all year round, like right now, I have at least one post a week for the next month and a half because I am crazy like that and I like to stay on top of things. Being honest though, it is just a great way of stay organised. I have this constant fear of running out of ideas, or not having enough content, or even not being able to get my words out properly so I find that if I have some back-up posts just saved on my laptop then I can just whip them out. Timing is also something to keep in mind though, obviously you don't want to be sharing your May favourite in August or your spring lip picks in autumn but just some good all year round content that you can just save for that "just in case" moment. You can also just plan posts for the next month or so and get writing. I tend to write my monthly favourites posts about a week in advance but things like new releases, I like to get their reviews up on any spare day I can, and then there are posts that I can fit in anywhere. Pre-writing posts are just so handy, especially when you have a routine to your upload, like me with Sundays at 10am and Tuesdays at 5pm. When managing school with a blog, I find the best time to get a bunch of posts pre-scheduled is during the holidays, or even the weekends. Obviously, it does come with the whole promoting thing but that you can just slow down but the actual blog content can just be done in advance. If you have never scheduled a post before, then it might be a little different for you to actually organize a prepare posts in advance, so I am to going to lie, it gets some taking use to, but if you do need to manage a blog and school then I think it is the best bet you have at staying on top of both.
A bit like what I said in the previous paragraph, doing things in bulk is a good tip I stick to. When I am in the right mood, I can write a whole months worth of posts in a few hours or I can take my next weeks worth of photos in a morning, that is because I am in the right mind set and I like to take advantage of that. I tend to take about five different blog post pictures in the same session because I have either planned them or I spontaneously thought of a new post that I want to do soon. Not going to lie, some of the posts I don't follow through, some I save for months later and some of for the next day so I get a good balance. Just having a massive bulk session of doing something blog related is super helpful instead of just taking the pictures, writing the post and promoting the post all within a day of posting it just to do the exact same thing again in a few days. For example, I am on a bit of a blog post writing rampage right now, that just means that I am in a super chatty mood and I am ready to talk about all the rubbish I want to talk about. Today, I could probably say that I am going to write three whole blog posts and get them scheduled for the next month or so. I find that when I write my posts in bulk, they are a lot more chatty and just a lot more me, so it creates my best content I find because I am just in the right head space.

Even though I was suppose to be giving advice and great tips in this post, I have came to the conclusion that I might have failed, just a little bit. Anyway, I hope you liked this very chatty post and maybe gathered more of an incite as to how I juggle school and my blog.

What is your number one tip for handling a blog and an education?
Grace xx

6 comments:

  1. I agree with all this so much - just started year 11 so I have a lot of work and other hobbies are taking up lots of time but these tips are so useful! I love waking up early at the weekend and having a blogging morning xx
    ellieslittleeworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is so rewarding, glad you found some tips out of this post!xx

      Delete
  2. These tips are really good! I definitely agree with balancing school and blogging. Scheduling is my best friends haha. Also, loved the different post!

    Life as Najida x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this post, I might try the schoolwork in the week, blog on the weekend, which is kind of what I do but sometimes I do some bits in the week!! I'm hoping I can carry on my blog as I get closer to GCSEs. Thankyou for the help!

    mee xo
    itsmeexx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete