Sunday 16 April 2017

Jeffree Star Cosmetics X Manny MUA Skin Frost First Impressions!

You probably do not know this but I am a huge fan of Manny MUA, he is one of my favourite youtubers and I think he is amazing. When I found out he was collaborating with Jeffree Star Cosmetics I knew I had to pick something up. I know a lot of people have a lot of different opinions about Jeffree but I personally like him a lot and you may not like him but you cannot deny the superb quality of his products.
Without going on for too long, they released two liquid lipsticks and a highlighter. The two liquid lipsticks didn't look like shades I would wear so I opted for the highlighter and after much request I am going to review it. This is my first Jeffree Star Skin Frost so I am still very new to the formula but I have gathered a few thoughts that I want to share with you.
With Jeffree Star Cosmetics being a US retailer, I was concerned as to whether I would be able to get hold of any of the collection, and I know a few people felt the same. Luckily, Beauty Bay stocked this collection on the release date (8th April), and even though it was super stressful and difficult to fight over, I got my hands on the highlighter. Sadly it is all now sold out on Beauty Bay so I appologise for the inconvenience but I will leave the links to any collaboration products left from the Jeffree Star website.
Beauty Bay sold this product for £25.50 which is the same as all of the other skin frosts. On the Jeffree Star website the Skin Frosts retail for $29.00 which is about £23 so I think Beauty Bay sold it for a great price considering what the shipping costs might have been from the UK.
I guess £25.50 seems a lot for a highlighter, and I thought that at first also but the size makes up for it. The photos might not show it true to size but you actually get 15 grams which is a huge amount for a powder product. Just for a comparison the Mary Lou Manizer is 8.5 grams so the JS Skin Frost is just less then double that.
Not going to lie, I am dying for this packaging. It has the same structure and shape to te regular Skin Frosts but instead of the glossy pink case, it is matte black. The front of the highlighter just has the JSC logo in a metalic silver text which, depending on the light, shines all sorts of colours. The highlighter came in its own black box with an unusual, texured pattern, with the shade on one of the sides of the box.
The packaging itself, that holds the highlighter is super secure and luxury feeling. The open is super strong as sometimes it can be a bit of a battle to open it but I guess that is a good thing. This does come with a mirror which is super amazing quality which I really appriciate because we all get put in that situation when we have to rely on a really awful mirror to do our makeup, but this will help you avoid that. As far as conveniece, the highlighter is huge in size so I don't know whether I would take it travelling, but it is not messy and it comes with a good mirror so I think it could be one worth taking in a travel makeup bag.
I must also mention the highlighter itself, it has the Jeffree Star logo embossed in it as well as Manny's signiture moon which I think was such a lovely touch because it shows just how much thought and love went into it's production.
The shade itself is super unique, the JSC website describes it as a "blinding pale icy peach" which I totally agree on. What I think makes it unusual thought, is the the peach in it is not warm at all, which I have never same across before, it has a very neutral tone to it which I think makes it such a versatile shade.
What is the shade if the formula is awful right? This formula is so alien to me, it is like nothing I have ever used before. To the touch the pan is very rough but the pigment is there on your finger but when you transfer it onto your hand, the pigment is weaker then what it is on your finger. This was super unusual for me and didn't set the perfect start I had hoped for but as you can see from the photo above, even with weaker pigment, the pigment is still there. I find the texture to be anything but buttery which is something I have never used before, so you could say I am still adapting.
I am still testing out ways to apply the highlight because my usual brush does not pick up any of the pigment. At the moment, I am finding that a much denser brush is needed to pick up the pigment so I have been using the RT Contour Brush but I will let you know once I have settled on an application. Once applied, the highlighter looks lovely, I don't find it blinding initially but it is definitely buildable to that intensity which I like because then I can range from something subtle to something intense with one product. There is quite a lot of glitter within the powder though so it gives a very metallic look on the skin which I know is not to everyone's taste
I definitely think that my money was well spent but you could say that is because I adore the people who created it, but if you do not like the sound of what I described then you are going to want to avoid this product. I am definitely intrigued to try more Skin Frosts just to see whether the texture and formula is consistent or similar.
I do really like this highlighter and I am going to continue to use it and experiment more with application but overall I am impressed but not astounded.
If you do like a super versatile highlighter, that will suit multiple people and one that you can build to something blinding then this is definitely for you but otherwise, I don't think that this is to your taste. Do let me know whether you have tried any of the JSC Skin Frosts and let me know how you apply them!

Have you tried anything from JSC?
Grace xx

Links Mentioned:
I Got Mine Here (but now sold out) - http://www.beautybay.com/

14 comments:

  1. The highlighter looks really pretty! I don't find a lot of Jeffree's Skin frost shades to be very wearable but this one looks both unique and usable x

    Beauty From Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I actually quite like the look of a few wild colours because they are so unique!xx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful highlighter! I know what you mean about the price, but then again I'm pretty sure that Mac's Soft and Gentle is £24! So it's not much more! I need to try some of Jefree's liquid lipsticks!
    www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the liquid lipstick formula too, his lipsticks are also amazing!xx

      Delete
  3. I have one of his highlighters in the Shade Dark Horse. My one is more suited to my darker skin because it's a bronzy shade but it's not at all like what you described. Mine's so pigmented and smooth. The tiniest bit is wayyy more than enough. I'm sometimes afraid to rub my brush in otherwise I'd look like the Sun! I'm really surprised as to the formulation but I love both of them regardless and I want to pick this one up soon (hopefully!) xx Nikita

    BLOG//Jasmine Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird, I want to get a few more just to check the consistency!xx

      Delete
  4. I really wanted to get my hands on this, but missed out. It looks like such a stunning colour; I really hope they restock it soon xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a shame it is limited edition!xx

      Delete
  5. I'm so in love with the stunning and unique colour of this, and the packaging! I've never tried anything from Jefree Star but I'm intrigued to see what it's like! xo
    ellieslittleeworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend his brand, I have loved everything I have tried!xx

      Delete
  6. This looks lovely!I think I actually prefer this packaging over the usual pink one-it looks a lot more classy and expensive to me x

    http://daisyypetals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it is so sleek looking!xx

      Delete
  7. I've never tried any of Jeffree's makeup, however I always hear good things about it. I love Manny and this collaboration looks incredible. the highlighter looks really pretty! x

    emjbarker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete