Thursday 3 September 2015

Back to School series: Top 10 tips on how to survive High school

Hi everyone,
Today's post is going to be my top tips on how to survive high school. I hope this can help some of you and please let me know if it has.

1. Be yourself

To me this is the most important advice. This doesn't just mean for school. This is advice I would give to anyone no matter what age. At the end of the day, you are who you are, you like what you like and you should always express yourself everyday. Your life will never be the same as no one elses so embrace it. I spent my first two years in high school pretending to be someone I wasn't and now I have found myself, I am not all the way there yet as it is a journey but I am getting there. When you met people, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, managers, anyone, you want them to see you and if they don't like it, you don't need them. When someone doesn't like you it means they don't understand you therefore you don't need them and you don't need to change for them. 


2. Don't follow the crowd

Never feel pressured to do something just because everyone else is. If everyone is filling in there eyebrows, or wearing a fishtail braid or even wearing the same style shoe. Don't feel like you need them to. You buy what you like, what you want to wear. Don't pressure yourself to do something your not comfortable with.


3. Settle

I know this might sound strange, but try as best as you can to settle somewhere. If you be yourself you are more likely to find real friends and you will be more comfortable. I know there is a girl in my class who changes her friendship group every week to suit herself, and in the end she doesn't have anyone to lean on, because it's like being two faced. I am not trying to be mean to her as she is a lovely person but, that is how a lot of people see her as. Even if your really good friends are not in any of your classes or you barley see them, try and find atleast someone you spend lots of time with in school and just be friendly. I didn't say you have to replace your good friends with one you see more often just be a nice person and then your not alone. If you do end up being left out or you feel like you have no one, just wait and take time. I am sure someone will reach out to you and start being a good friend.

4. Do what you want

This relates a lot to number 2. You should never feel uncomfortable in school. It is there to help you, not to ruin you. If your friends like something, don't feel pressured to like it too, if you don't, you don't, you can't help your own opinion. I have made that mistake far to many times, and don't hate yourself if you have. At the end of the day, you go to school to learn not to change who you are. Everyone changes, some for the worse and some for the good. If you always do what you want, you will always change for the best.
If you don't do what you won't to do, you won't be happy. If all your friends want to be an actor (just an example) when there older you don't have to be an actor. You make your own decisions don't let someone else determine your life.

5. Be determined

I know this may be hard at times, but if you are willing to try hard in everything you do, you are only capable of your best. I do try and be determined everyday in school but not everyday. Some days are harder than others depending on your lessons you enjoy. I would just set yourself a target. Whether that's trying your best every lesson for a whole day, or trying your best everyday for one lesson per day. After you set yourself a target you will succeed, just be realistic and you will sure to be more determined in school.

6. Be patient

You might be wondering, patient for what? To survive school you will have to be patient. If you want to do well in an exam, you need to be patient when revising. There are so many more examples. Personally, I am a very impatient person, so I struggle with this one. I do promise, being more patient makes school so much easier.

7. Never feel pressured

This is also very similar to numbers two and four. School is said to be the most safe environment possible for education, so you should never feel uncomfortable. I have had trouble with this before mostly from friends, but teachers can pressure you to. My friend feels forced to go to all these athletic practices when she doesn't want to. If you feel like a teacher is forcing you into something mention it to your headteacher, head of year or form tutor. Friends are slightly easier to handle, just talk to them. You will become better friends if you communicate. Just talk to them privately and be completely honest.

8. Only try to be YOUR best

This again relates to other points I have mentioned, but this does need to be said. Society today compares each and everyone one of us, to someone that we will never be. And that's sad, but what makes it worse is that we let society compare us. Young teenagers like myself compare ourselves to the smartest girl in the class, the slimiest girl in our school, the most flexible in our dance class. All of these things lead to us feel depressed, upset and not special. I am guilty of this as I constantly compare myself still on a day to day basis and it's not healthy. This year my number one aim is to be myself and love myself, and I think we all should have ago a that.

9. Take your time

I have struggled with this a lot during my first two years of high school, but it is basically just to take you time. I rush everything, I always like to be first finished I love to be ahead of the game but sometimes that isn't the whole point. I rush homework, general work and I find short cuts to everything. It's not because I save things til the last minute. It's just the fact that I hate being slow. If you know me you will know, I hate slow walkers, I get really easily annoyed when people take a long time to get to a point. I just like short simple an fast things. This year just give yourself the time if you are like me.

10. Have fun

Honestly you will never have the same day twice so just enjoy it. There have been so many days were I just come home feeling down because I didn't do something the way I wanted to do it. Just take everyday you get as a gift and smile everyday because of the gift you have been given.

I hope you have enjoyed this post. It's a little more deep than my other ones but I hope this helped one of you. Have a great day.
Grace xx 

2 comments:

  1. This is great advice! I agree with all them especially not following the crowd. If you want to go to the libary in a free and no one esle wants to! Do it!!!!


    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I really wish people from my school read this as some of my friends just do what everyone else is doing, it's almost second nature. xx

      Delete